Wednesday, March 06, 2002

Elaine , musing recently about a musical synchronicity she expeienced, has inspired me to pull my own musical synchronicity from the coincidence files for your perusal. The following is not a recent event. It is an actual journal entry (in an actual - not virtual journal!) from just over five years ago. I offer no interpretation (see the synchronicity link above for some interpretation of coincidence) of the events described below beyond whatever I wrote at the time. Make of it what you will.

1/17/97

I am at this moment reeling from what seems to me a remarkable coincidence. . .

Two days ago, during my lunch break at Peterson, I went to The Wherehouse on Kearny St. with the express intent of buying 1 or 2 used cassettes. While perusing the used tape selection I happened upon a Joe Walsh cassette (I don't recall the title) which included the song, A Life of Illusion . Upon seeing the title of that song I thought to myself: "I haven't heard that song in a while".

Tonight, Friday at about 10:20, I sit down at the computer to work after tuning the stereo to KALX . Within minutes I am startled to hear a familiar but long unheard song beginning on the radio. That song was Joe Walsh's "A Life of Illusion".

There are a couple of things that make this a remarkable coincidence to my mind. First of all, I rarely if ever, work on Friday nights as Sarah and I usually stay up. . . Tonight, however, Sarah was tired. . .

Also, I usually (not always but usually) listen to prerecorded music while working, not the radio. And, while the chances of hearing most any song or type of music on an eclectic college station are good, I have to wonder about the DJ playing any Joe Walsh song much less a song that I had recently been musing about.

No comments: