Monday, October 07, 2002

Two (2) things that have annoyed yours truly of late:

1. Baseball.

I am not now nor have I ever been a sports fan (except for Battlebots and, on occasion, The Olympics). This may explain my irritation with reports and photos of Oakland A's and S.F. Giants playoff games plastered all over the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle for the last few days as if there was nothing of any real import happening in the world at the moment. What happened to the sports page?

2. The current Wrangler Jeans television ads

Much like the recent Jaguar ads which used The Clash's apocalyptic and completely innapropriate London Calling to sell luxury cars to the clueless, these appalling ads from Wrangler take Creedence Clearwater Revival's caustic protest tune, Fortunate Son, and butcher it so that it sounds like a patriotic anthem.

The Wrangler ad uses the following lines as they fill our TV screens with stars, stripes and Wrangler clad asses:

Some folks are born
made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they're red, white and blue.


Conveniently enough, the geniuses behind this campaign cut the song there and leave those of us familiar with the tune carrying on with it in our shaking heads:

And when the band plays "Hail to the chief",
they point the cannon right at you.


It ain't me,
it ain't me.
I ain't no senator's son.
It ain't me,
it ain't me.
I ain't no fortunate one.


No comments: