Thursday, February 14, 2002

Well, it's Valentine's Day and I almost feel obligated to discourse upon love - it's nature, it's variations (if any � is not all love the love of God?), it�s joys and terrors. Almost. The truth is that it is late, I am tired, and my Love is hundreds of miles away. I see no reason, in any case, to limit discussion or display of love to a single day. Why not send flowers to your wife on July 16th? Give your boyfriend a pair of boxer shorts with little red hearts on them in May!

Since at this moment I am favoring a warm bed and a good book over a glowing computer monitor I will leave musings about love to better minds than mine:

" Since we love other people through love, and �God is love�, it is through God that we love them. We can only love by first loving love itself through which we give love. Therefore love of God and love of other people include each other."
- St. Augustine

Love is not all; it is not meat nor drink
Nor slumber nor a roof against the rain,
Nor yet a floating spar to men that sink,
And rise and sink, and rise and sink again;
Love cannot fill the thickened lung with breath,
Nor clean the blood, nor set the fractured bone;
Yet many a man is making friends with death
Even as I speak, for lack of love alone.
It well may be that in a difficult hour,
Pinned down by pain and moaning for release,
Or nagged by want, past resolution's power,
I might be driven to sell your love for peace,
Or trade the memory of this night for food.
It well may be. I do not think I would.

- Edna St. Vincent Millay -

�. . .love is the law and the drug and the pull and the push of all we do. . .�
- Shriekback -


No comments: