Monday, February 18, 2002

Today marks the two-week anniversary of this, my first and (so far) only, blog. Premature as it may be, I feel moved to reflect a bit upon the experience.

First of all, the sense of community here in the web log world reminds me very much of a voice mail scene that I was a part of back in the late 1980�s in �Silicon Valley� (more about this at a later date). The blogging thing is larger in every way but similar in that it brings together a wide variety of people � each doing their own thing and, in that individual pursuit, participating in a grander scheme.

I am not really clear on the politics of blogging - if there is such a thing. I have been linked by a few people that I know of as a result of my contacting them and letting them know that I appreciated their blogs. This is encouraging as it informs me to some extent that what I am doing here is at least marginally worthwhile to others. And, while I stand by my assertion (as noted in that first post) that writing itself is a solitary activity, I have come to realize that this blog is a potentially dynamic forum. With this in mind I encourage any and all who pop in here to leave a comment if so inclined (just click on the little orange "comments").

This has been a quite literal learning experience for me. Before February 4th I knew nothing at all about HTML code. I was forced to learn at least a small amount if I wanted to create a blog. And I did want to create a blog. As somebody who has written one thing or another most of my life, I was drawn to this medium immediately. One of my motivations was the notion that I might post some of my work here for the perusal of all and sundry. I don't mean the links to the left which will lead you to places on the web where I have been published, but other stuff - unpublished and/or published in the "real" world only. I have already made a start with this in my previous post (see "Notes on a Theory of Subtle Revolution" below). Soon, perhaps, I will initiate a poem/story a week link. Is this a good idea? Is anybody interested in reading my "work"? Time will tell, I suppose.


No comments: