Tuesday, February 12, 2002

Browsing through the just announced Grammy nominess I am surprised to see that I actually own one of them. Generally not in step with popular (i.e. mainstream, i.e. crappy) musical tastes ( for instance, as I type this I am listening to Robyn Hitchcock's 1986 release, Element of Light ) this is perhaps a first (I can't say for sure as I am not in the habit of analyzing the annual nominees). I have not heard any of the other nominess so I am not in a position to comment on them. It does seem refreshing, however, to see such unpretentious, genuine and rootsy music as the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack being recognized by the Grammy arbiters of musical taste. Of course, I realize that this soundtrack is nominated, as is the case with all other nominees, only because it sold well enough to make a blip on the Grammy radar. It is, after all, typically bottom line and not top talent that receives nods from the Grammy and Academy award folks. Not that the two are mutally exclusive, of course - The Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync are certainly some of the most unique and innovative talents to come out of the music Industry in many a year! ; )

No comments: